Monday, March 8, 2010

Vegetable Don't Get Curried Away




I have a few different curries from Penzey's in the cupboard, so tonight, with a friend's influence, I decided to cook a vegetable curry. Let me tell you, I am not disappointed. On Saturday, I went to the grocery and picked up asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, and mushrooms. I intended to use them on Sunday afternoon, but fortunately for me, I didn't use them at all. Plus, I did not want to eat any meat this evening, so it worked out well, I'd say.

I started the dish with a small onion, which I diced and sauted in olive oil along with a couple cloves of garlic and a tablespoon or so of freshly chopped ginger. As these items cooked, I retrieved from the cupboard my curries (Maharajah, Rogan Josh, and Vindaloo blends from old P's), a little more cumin, chile powder, Salt, and Pepper. The Vindaloo blend is quite hot, so I only added a small amount. The first time I ever used this blend, I nearly burned my lips off, as I am wont to say.

With the extra oil in the pan, the spices formed a paste, and to this paste I added my mushrooms, asparagus, and broccoli. I also diced a tomato and added it to the mix. A quick stir, and then I added a couple cups of chicken stock. Covered now with a pizza pan I like to use as a lid, I let this cook until the vegetables were just tender. I spooned a lot over some barley I made to eat with the vegetables, a little more Salt and a little more Pepper, and this curry was ready. As I sit here, I still feel a slight amount of heat from the spiciness of the curry, and I enjoy it.

1 comment:

kimberly said...

Old P's- that made me laugh!

I have the Vindaloo also- good stuff. Get a jar of Balti next time you order!!