Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Eat Fresh Fried Fish...



Earlier today, I got a hankering for some fried fish, so on my way home I stopped for a few pieces of flounder and a small head of cabbage. I also really wanted to eat macaroni and cheese, which to me is the best side dish for fried fish in the history of side dishes.

I like pan frying fish, so I coated the filets with eggwash and cornmeal and placed them in the pan with hot oil. The coating browned nicely in places, and the fish was quite edible, but it did not cook like I am accustomed to fish cooking. I like it when the fish cooks to almost a cottony consistency, is how I've heard it described, but this fish would never become that. After I fried it awhile, I was sure it was thoroughly cooked. It flaked, it broke, it was done; but the appearance was not white. I think it was just the variety of fish, but what do I know.

So instead of mac and cheese, I made baked fries. Very nice. I seasoned the potatoes with that essence blend and a little more salt, and then I coated them with a little bit of olive oil before throwing them into the oven. The wife liked the fries quite well, but she is a potato fanatic, anyway. The edges crisped a little, so they were certainly tasty dipped in a little Heinz ketchup.

But I also had to use that head of cabbage, for which I paid exactly 29 cents. As I said, I have strong feelings for this new dressing of apple cider vinegar, olive oil, a little Duke's, lemon zest and juice, Parm Regg, and Salt and Pepper, and Janet thought it would make a fine cole slaw, so I prepared some of that. (I am going to eat a spoonful when I am done writing this blog, as a matter of fact.) I should have added a carrot or two, but I did not.

I enjoyed my dinner tonight, though that fish had kind of a weird texture. It certainly was not from the Shrimp Man, but it was all right.

2 comments:

kimberly said...

Heinz is where it's at my friend. I'm so glad they do an organic w/out the high fructose corn syrup that is honestly just as good...

Mmmmm slaw... good dinner you had tonight, Jamey. I settled for a boring salad at The Capital Ale House. The drinks and conversation were worth the drab meal... :)

J.S. Booterbaugh said...

I had no idea about Heinz' other varieties of ketchup. I might, and I say might, try the other, KB.