Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Corned Beef with Cabbage and Noodles for St. Patty's Day





Happy St. Patrick's Day! Yes, I wore my green today; two shades, matter of fact, and I even stopped at the store to buy some Guinness. Fortunately for me, I only bought a four-pack because I do not like Guinness. Actually, today is the first time I ever remember trying Guinness. I just do not like stouts. I originally intended to make a glaze for the corned beef with Guinness, honey, and brown sugar, I think it was, but it was not to be.

When I got home, the wife already had the cabbage, potatoes and carrots chopped and in the pot cooking. She said she was taking over the cooking today since she is fully one-quarter Irish. She made good use of the Guinness by dumping a can into the pot along with the aforementioned items, some onion, garlic, a couple cloves, Salt and Pepper, and a little chicken broth. My contribution to the meal today is that I boiled the beef last night for a while because I wanted to eat dinner before ten o'clock, which is pretty close to this old man's bedtime. Then I would have missed writing in my blog for two days, and that must be avoided, for fear of never returning.

I am also cooking noodles, fast be damned. When that cabbage is boiled, I intend to chop a bit of it and saute it with the noodles in a little butter and top it with grated Parm-Regg and Salt and Pepper. Cabbage and noodles isn't Irish, Janet said, but I disagree. I have not eaten cabbage and noodles in forever, and today I fully intend to. So good to me. The dish could have tolerated more butter, but what couldn't?

So I pulled the meat from the cooking liquid and sliced it against the grain. It was quite good. I would love to have another just like it for Reuben sandwiches, and perhaps I will concoct those tasty victuals soon.

(Money, it's gotta be the shoes. Today, a woman at the office where I've been working arrived wearing a pair of sweet bright green shoes. I said that I liked her green shoes for St. Patty's Day, and she was like, oh, I didn't realize today was St. Patrick's, etc. Also, Michael Jordan became majority owner of the Charlotte Bobcats today. Look for an NBA championship soon in the Queen City.)

3 comments:

kimberly said...

I am craving egg noodles now. With a TON of butter, salt, and pepper... after too many shots of Jameson last night celebrating, I think that could be a new perfect hangover meal... :)

J.S. Booterbaugh said...

I think you're right.

drakesheri said...

My heritages says part Irish, but my taste buds do not like corned beef or cabbage. :(