Thursday, March 4, 2010

Meat 'n Taters



For the past several days, I have been allowing my body to consume its own energy stores, of which a good quantity exists. Kenny and I were talking one afternoon about matters of health, and he mentioned how the body enjoys a break from the extra digestive work required when you overeat (that's the gist of it). He also told me that his dad does not eat on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I think it was. I got such a hoot out of the idea of just not eating all day, and I am not at that point yet, but I think it's an attainable goal for me. I have realized that the less food I eat now, the more opportunities I will have to eat in the long run.

Oh, I have been eating, but I am eating in a vastly different manner than I ever have before. I love bread and pasta, and I can assure you I have eaten more than my fair share, but I have exempted myself from those items for a time. I can see the results of my internal feast, and it makes me happy that I have decided to do a good deed for my body. Unfortunately, I have noticed a few minor side effects.

Nausea hit me today after consuming my carrots and apple at lunch, and I realized suddenly the effect of such a dramatic change in diet. I had not considered this, but I think it's a good thing. I could surely use a good cleansing. I also noticed that I am not hungry, or rather I haven't been thinking that I feel hungry.

Breakfast has been a yogurt and a fruit/cereal bar (not included in the sacrifice). Lunch has been carrots, apples, peanuts, and today I ate an orange, also.

So with the serious dearth of stick-to-your-ribs food around here lately, I made a big chunk of beef with potatoes and carrots tonight. First I sauted a small onion in some olive oil. I threw in a couple cloves of garlic and what dill remained in the fridge. Then I seasoned the beef with essence blend, threw it in the Dutch Oven with chicken stock and chunks of potatoes and carrots, a little more Salt and Pepper, and I let it cook. By now the potatoes are soft and smooth and the carrots are al dente. A few sprigs of cilantro, and my good dinner awaits.

2 comments:

kimberly said...

I looked at that picture and thought of home...
Yes, the body will do all sorts of weird things when you cleanse, apparently... and much of it makes you feel awful. Strange. This is only information I've found through reading, I can't quite bring myself to it, maybe one day.

J.S. Booterbaugh said...

Yes, I had to take a break from raw carrots.

A good dish, that one.