Sunday, March 7, 2010

Black-Bean Chile



Tonight I am tired, blog, so I intend to keep it short and sweet while I tell you about the chile (my preferred spelling of the dish from here on out) I made this evening. I really did not feel like cooking, so I was fortunate to have a few quality ingredients in the freezer already prepared for just that reason. What I really felt like doing was continuing to lay down on the couch with Hazelnut and watching TV.

A week or so ago, I made tacos with homemade tortillas, which I enjoyed so much. Ah, bread. (The wife just tried the chile, and she said, "Mmm, what good flavor that has.) Well, the taco meat was essentially chile. I cooked a lot of it, so I froze some, and tonight I thawed that chile and put it into a pan with two cans of black beans and a little chicken stock. Very good. Under most circumstances, I would have augmented the chile with a peanut-butter sandwich--a combo I learned from the lunch ladies of Spencer High School--or peanut butter on saltine crackers, at least. Peanut butter and chile are very good friends. Or tortilla chips, but I ate no bread tonight. I satisfied myself with a dollop of sour cream, a little bit of cheese, hot sauce, and jalapenos.

Usually when I make chile, I add one or two large cans of tomatoes to the dish, so it is tomato-based. I also use a variety of at least five kinds of beans. This version of chile is meat, beans and spices. It makes monster tacos. I would also love to eat it on chile dogs. With yellow mustard.

3 comments:

kimberly said...

Yum. I guess it was dinner in a bowl for both of us tonight!
I will have to try out the peanut butter thing... I can imagine it would actually be quite tasty!

lelrod1981 said...

I got to try me some of that.

J.S. Booterbaugh said...

Lee, glad you could join us.