Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sweet 16 Chile Con Carne




Today is the day of reckoning. Either we're going to win, or we'll lose. Pretty simple. So LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS! That said, I am cooking a pot of chile right now that will be ready to be dug into by tip-off time at 7:27.

Chile is one of those dishes that is made differently every time. This time, I started out with my mirepoix, to which I added a red pepper and a yellow pepper. I cooked that awhile in a little olive oil, and then I added a pound or two of ground beef and a bag of red beans I cooked earlier. I also added a can of crushed tomatoes. I bought some stupid-hot chile powder today, but I only used a tiny bit because the wife cannot tolerate that much heat. So I used the basic mild chile powder, some cumin, Salt and Pepper, and today I also added a bit of Old Bay because my chile needed a little zipadee. It did the trick, and I am now reminded that I need to add a beer to the pot, which I will go and do now.

And it's one beer for the chile, one beer for me, and that's a good ratio for now. I fully intend to eat my chile this evening with a few tortilla chips, a little sour cream, and perhaps even a few crackers spread with peanut butter. I am very much looking forward to eating chile and watching the game. What a night, eh?

2 comments:

kimberly said...

I'm curious how the beer for chile/beer for you ratio ended? :)

J.S. Booterbaugh said...

haha. It was definitely lopsided in my favor!