Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Steaks Are High




Well, I missed writing last night due to a lack of inspiration. Plus, the Pirates were playing a spring-training game on the TV. The Pirates did not win, as usual, losing to the Orioles 3-2, but it was fun getting acclimated with the current players. I love the names of the leagues during spring training—the Cactus and Grapefruit Leagues. So Go Buccos! I am getting excited for baseball season and spending the summer at the ballpark watching our beloved Greensboro Grasshoppers.

Anyway, last night I cooked a few pork chops in the skillet that were so unremarkable that I just passed on remarking about them completely—until right now, I guess. They tasted all right, as I sauted them in a little olive oil and the juice from half of an orange. I ate mine with a little Hot Bone Suckin' Sauce, and with my coleslaw on the side, it was a decent meal. Seriously, no better name exists for any type of sauce, I think. Also, I made a bowl of guacamole with tomato and lime juice that started the meal.

Tonight, however, I am typing and waiting for my dinner to finish cooking. On the menu is New York Strip steak with potato gratin and succotash. I just tried the succotash, and it tastes right fine. Lima beans are my favorites, but mix those little buggers with corn and all of a sudden you have succotash! I added just a little pat of butter, and a little Salt and Pepper.

Last time I made a gratin, I used entirely too much liquid, so I used much less tonight. It should taste good, with cheddar cheese, a little bit of butter, Parm-Regg, and Salt and Pepper. I needed a little comfort this evening, I suppose, hence this powerhouse.

Steaks I simply seasoned with Salt and Pepper and seared in the skillet until they browned. I did not intend to make a steak sauce, but the glaze in the pan looked so appetizing that I had to. Some Worcestershire, a little water, and mounted with a small pat of butter after it cooked a short time. I enjoyed the meal quite a bit, as did the wife. And that is all, certainly for this evening, as Hazelnut and I prepare ourselves to lay on the couch and watch the Mountaineers in the Big East Tournament.

No comments: