Saturday, February 27, 2010

Zitronenkuchen, sort of.



Well, last night we traveled to Ma and Pa White's for dinner, so I did not cook anything except for a kind of Zitronenkuchen or lemon cake. I was watching Iron Chef America, and their ingredient was Meyer lemon, so that's where the idea comes from. I also like the spiffy German word Zitronenkuchen, which I just learned. Of course, I have regular old lemons, but I guess now I'll have to find some Meyer lemons to find out what they're all about.

Last Christmas I made a few genoise cakes. I will not go into much detail about making the cakes, but suffice it to say that making one is a multi-step process. These cakes are thin and spongy, and they are generally rolled. I wanted to make a vanilla cake filled with lemon ricotta, but it did not work out for me. The filling has a nice lemony taste, but the texture is unappealing. However, my idea is to make a graham-cracker crust to bake the mixture into a sort of cheesecake. I think the texture will smooth as it cooks. I will soon find out if my theory holds water.

So instead of lemon ricotta filling in my cake, I made a simple glaze from confectioners' sugar as well as the juice and zest of one lemon. Most of the glaze soaked into the cake, and that was fine, but the glaze on the plate beside the cake firmed, so I scooped it up with a knife and spread it on the top of the cake, adding some small amount of texture to the cake as well as a fair amount of flavor.

I also whipped some cream to which I added small amounts of confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and zest. Spooned over the cake, and it was a decent dessert. Janet prepared salmon with fresh dill, Salt and Pepper, lemon juice and a pat of butter, and she and Ma White fixed latkes. Ma White also made a psychadelically iced strawberry cake, so we had a good group effort for our good-tasting dinner.

Earlier in the day I went to the HT for a minute, and they had a can of olive oil on sale for half off, and I bought it. Check it.

2 comments:

kimberly said...

I adore lemon flavored desserts. Well done on the Olive Oil purchase. I am a big fan of Home Goods, which is located within walking distance of my apartment. I bought them out of Zoe Organic EVOO... a bargain at $7 a bottle... nothing like good olive oil... absolutely nothing. Colavita is a damn good brand and I'm jealous of your HT purchase... seriously miss me some Teeter.

J.S. Booterbaugh said...

Yes, lemon is very good to me.

I know we have a lot of other places to shop, but for me there is no place like that Teeter on Friendly. I find good deals there regularly. I find just looking at the big can of olive oil makes me happy.