Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Yams and Yeebos

Hey, Jamey, don't forget about us, okay? Jamey, don't you remember us? These greens that I bought a few days ago have been calling my name, but I have not wanted to eat them. Nice leafy greens: kale, turnip, and mustard. I will admit that I have never purchased or cooked greens before, but as I am trying to be well physically I loaded a bag full of them and brought them home where they have been sitting in the crisper for days. Tonight I ate them.

To cook the greens, first I diced and sauted half an onion, along with one large clove of garlic. For fat, I used the juice that three pieces of chicken breast remitted into the pan. I poured the juice into the skillet and added the onions and garlic; they cooked for several minutes. Then I added those greens that I had washed in the sink after removing the stems. Kale is a hearty plant. Man, that stuff has to be good for you. I can feel it moving throughout me as I type this.

At least ten minutes passed. The greens wilted as they do, but they were still firm and chewy, especially that kale, and that suits my taste just fine. I added to the pan about a half of a cup of light cream (good in moderation), some freshly grated nutmeg and a little more Salt and Pepper. The wife said it was not in her top ten; that the leaves were too chewy and bitter. Perhaps, but I liked them, though they might be somewhat of an acquired taste. Does a bit of light cream negate the nutritional value of the greens? Hardly. Dairy is okay to me.

I also baked the aforementioned chicken breasts. I seasoned them with Salt and Pepper and about a tablespoon each of cilantro oil that I made a few days ago. Chicken turned out okay. I am not impressed enough with cilantro oil to make it again any time soon. I also had farfalle with cilantro oil, Salt and Pepper, halved cherry tomatoes, and some fresh parmesan. I also added some of that delicious Green-Can Cheese. And that was my Meal of Meals today.

I also had a once-in-a-lifetime meeting today with a Nepali guy in whose class I have been subbing this week. I have been eating lunch with the Nepali guy and a Chinese guy, both who are just learning English, having been in the United States for six or seven months. We talk about food a little bit, and I asked Nepali if he had been to McDonald's. He had no idea what, where, or who McDonald's was, and I was so happy about it, not because I hate McDonald's, because I don't, but because it was so rare to meet a person unaware of the giant. I recommended the fries, of course.

No comments: