Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Eggy Weggs


Tonight, my plan was to eat a salad for my dinner, and everything was going according to plan when I had the idea to boil some eggs. On a low-cholesterol diet, a person is allowed one egg per week, and that's yolk and white. Well, I boiled five tonight since five eggs remained in the carton, and I plan on eating one per day until they're gone.

Hard-boiled eggs are not foolproof. The last time I made them, the yolks ran like the Youghiogheny. This time, I placed them in a pan and allowed the water to boil rollingly for several minutes before taking them off of the heat. Overboiled eggs will turn green and sulfurous. Yuck. Cook them right and the yolk will be creamy and delicious. My yolks were just a bit dry since I forgot about them for a couple minutes while I was looking at the INTERNET>>. I like the tiniest bit of salt on them, also.

Before I cooked the eggs, I finally cleaned the remaining vegetables I bought a couple days ago. I had two cucumbers, Romaine lettuce, and celery. Usually I clean the vegetables very shortly after I buy them so I can store them for the best longevity. When they're cleaned, it also makes them more attractive as a food choice in the evenings when I am notorious for snizacks.

I like to use a gigantic plate when I make my salad because I like to hand-coat the dressing equally on all ingredients and this requires a lot of space so that the ingredients do not fall off the plate or out of the bowl. I filled my plate with Romaine hearts, cucumber that I just cleaned and quartered, cherry tomatoes, a good tablespoon of capers, canned beats, S & P, and a bit of Paul Newman Caesar low-calorie salad dressing that needs eaten before the end of the month, so says the date on the bottle.

I ate the salad, and it was good. First I had one of those hard-boiled eggs, though. My intention was to put it on the salad, but it did not make it that far. The remaining eggs I placed into a container with the beets and the beet juice. I like to add apple-cider vinegar and salt, and a little fresh black pepper to canned beats for some flavor. The eggs are pickling now, and they will be good tomorrow and Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

No comments: