Thursday, February 18, 2010

Chop Wood, Carry Water




Before enlightenment, chop vegetables and scrub pots. After enlightenment, chop vegetables and scrub pots. I have no way to discern if I'm on the before side or the after side; I just have always liked the original koan, and it came into my mind as I was scouring a pot and scowling at the sink a few moments ago. That was not the only thing that came into my mind, either. Thinking about what I was going to eat for dinner later, I decided that I would like to eat chicken tacos, thanks to Sheri for being the catalyst with her picture of fish tacos. I'd make the fish variety, but I have no fish.

Now, these soft chicken tacos are concocted with whole-wheat tortillas, chicken, a dollop of queso, a dollop of sour cream, a bit of salsa, some lime juice, and a sprig or two of cilantro. I like corn or flour tortillas better generally speaking, and occasionally I will buy a package of them, but usually it's the whole wheat for salubrity.

When I am ready to build the tacos, I will either heat the tortillas in a skillet or place them directly on the burner on low heat until they brown. The burner method requires direct attention because the window between browned tortillas and burnt tortillas is very tiny. If I'm being lazy, I will simply throw them into the microwave for 13 seconds to warm them. If you are in the habit of eating cold tortillas, stop it immediately and brown them or heat them. The taste improves so much.

Onto the chicken. My chicken is as frozen as the ice at the Civic Arena once was, so I will boil it in just enough water to cover it until it is mostly cooked. I am not going to season the chicken much, just Salt and Pepper as I put them into a skillet with a little olive oil. I like to cut the chicken into small chunks with my spatula once it's in the skillet because it's easier to cut it that way, and I want it to get a little crisp on it. Different textures are very important in a good taco, I think. (Unfortunately no crisp this time.)

I still have about a pint of that salsa I made a few days ago, and it is thawing as I write. On the taco. I have a small container of queso in the fridge. On the taco. Sour cream. A squeeze of fresh lime and a sprig of cilantro, all wrapped in a toasted tortilla. I might make a ratatouille taco with hot sauce and freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, also. Ratatouille tacos are delicious.

No comments: