Saturday, February 6, 2010

Salsa and Guacamole




Chips and salsa, man. I love them. When we go out for Mexican food, the chips and salsa are what kills me, and salsa is a right fine indicator of what kind of food you will be eating soon. At the grocery store, though, I could not find any salsa that was remotely similar to what I was eating in the restaurants. So I decided I would make my own salsa, and it's very simple.

Today I roasted in the oven four tomatoes, three jalapenos, and a poblano. If I would have been thinking correctly, I would've roasted some onion and garlic, but I was not, and I did not. After these items roasted, I threw them into the processor after peeling their skins. I added a good handful of cilantro, the juice of one lime, and a little salt. Hit the button and Sal-sa! I tasted it, and it was a little spicy for the wife. More for old boy. Heh.

Guacamole is the same: easy to make and so worth it. Today I had four avocados (HT was selling them two for $3, which is very reasonable for them). They were ripe and ready, as was I. I halved them and scooped them into a bowl, to which I added more cilantro, roughly chopped, lime zest, juice of one more lime, some salt, and about a half cup of that salsa I made. I will probably add more salsa later.

Taking a fork, I smashed all those things together, leaving some larger pieces of avocado. I think I might have added the juice of one more lime. Seems like I squeezed a lot of limes today, or at least a lot more than usual.

This batch of guac is silky smooth, and the ripe avocado is creamy. The lime juice gives it a bit of pucker, and salt is a miracle for everything. I am thinking that a shot of tequila might fit so well into this guacamole. I will have to remember that for next time. So tonight, my dinner has been salsa, guacamole, and tortilla chips. I did not make the tortilla chips myself since that process has many steps, but someday I will break out the masa harina.

Both of these dishes will be even better tomorrow when their ingredients have spent some time together, mixing it up and hitting it off. Time for chicken wing dip.

No comments: