Thursday, February 11, 2010

Boulettes


A few years ago, I saw a recipe for shrimp boulettes that I thought sounded delicious. I never cooked them, but today I thought about the boulettes — what if I substituted pork for shrimp? I was onto something, no doubt. So when I got home from the chocolate store where I bought the wife a box of assorted truffles for Valentine's Day, I began working on my Meal of Meals for today.

First I cooked one potato. I peeled it and threw it into the processor. I added to that five thinly sliced pork chops, some Essence seasoning blend, more Salt, cilantro, a beaten egg, three tablespoons of flour, the other half of the onion I began using yesterday and a clove of garlic. I sauted the onion and garlic, and when that was done, I blended all of those ingredients together to make a kind of paste. I dropped about a tablespoonful into a pan of shallow hot oil and they browned pretty well. The first boulette tasted all right to me. The second one did, too, and on and on. It ain't no boudin, but nothing but boudin is. I am going to make that dish in the near future.

In the fridge, I still had some pineapple left from the other day, so I gave it a rough chop and threw it into a small skillet with a little orange juice, some cinnamon, and a bit of Salt. I reduced that for some time and when the juice was nearly evaporated, I added about two tablespoons of my favorite, light cream. This was for the boulettes, and I added a little hot sauce, too, so the bites were boulette, pineapple compote, and a drop or two of hot sauce. I thought it a very nice combination, but the wife would not try it with hot sauce. She liked the boulettes just fine, but she called them “meatballs.” Look like meatballs, she said.

I also cooked up a bit of wild rice and brown rice mixture. Dinner was pretty good. Of course I cannot eat anything else today, but perhaps a carrot or an apple later in the evening. I got to put the hammer down once a day.

No comments: