Thursday, April 8, 2010

Opening Day Rain Delay?



It's opening night at NewBridge Bank Park, and the Grasshoppers are on the schedule versus the Augusta GreenJackets. It's going to rain, so the big question is will it rain hard enough to postpone the game? I am on the schedule, so I made my dinner quite early. I thought it was a good idea, but now I'm sleepy.

Anyway. I bought a hunk of beef at the Teeter yesterday and I had a bag of greens in the fridge, so that's what I had. I also made kluski noodles, which I love. Actually, this is the first time I have done any real cooking in a week, so I'm working it out.

I will be honest with you—I am trying to like greens. Perhaps I just have not found the particular green that most appeals to me. Perhaps I have not added the proper spicing. Today I had mustard greens and turnip greens. One of them was way too bitter, but which one? I don't know. I prepared them with a little olive oil, Salt and Pepper, some green onion, a little garlic, a bit of balsamic, and a little splash of cream at the end. The bitterness dissipated some with cooking, of course, but I did not want to cook and cook and cook them. The wife asked if we were done with greens now, but I am willing to try them again, so I guess I will have to do a little bit of research on the matter.

I did the beef how I usually do it, with a liberal sprinkling of Salt and freshly cracked Pepper. Browned in the skillet a little and then finished in the oven to medium. No sauce today.

The kluski noodles were my favorite, though, being the carb fiend that I am. To the boiled noodles, I added some olive oil, Salt and Pepper, some cremini mushrooms I sliced and sauted, and a little bit of marjoram, which I just bought from Penzey's. Marjoram is an herb I have not used much, and it did not immediately win me over in this dish. I thought it was somewhat flowery. But the addition of some shredded Provolone Piccante cheese helped me like it a little more. Really I wanted to buy cabbage for cabbage and noodles, but I had those damn greens that needed to be eaten. I don't know. I'm a little rusty.

3 comments:

kimberly said...

I want those noodles!!! With cabbage- and some kielbasa!!! YUM!!!

kimberly said...

Oh, so did you get enough rain to be delayed? :)

J.S. Booterbaugh said...

Rain-out in the top of the fifth, KB.