Saturday, April 17, 2010

Booyah, Brunswick Stew, and Burgoo




I wanted to change the name of my blog to "The Salty Cracker," but that URL was already taken, much to my chagrin.

After I write this, I'm going to walk the dogs on this pleasant Saturday afternoon. I have been sitting here at the computer for a good portion of the last couple hours, listening to Wilco and looking out the window at the azaleas across the street. Azaleas began blooming here about two weeks ago, and I have enjoyed observing their reds, purples, pinks, and whites. We have a nice pink azalea in the backyard, but you can't see it unless you're out there. It finally began blooming a couple days ago, but it needs pruned and fertilized, which I will do after all of its flowers have faded. Then next year, it should flourish.

A few days ago, I planted four new azaleas in the front yard--two Midnight Flares and two Wolfpack Reds. Janet is a fan of red azaleas, as they are more rare to see around here than the rest. I will estimate that if you counted the number of azalea bushes in this neighborhood, you would reach 100 quickly, and that makes walking the dogs much more pleasant. Lord knows I need some exercise, and the dogs do, too.

So I was talking to a guy at the ballpark and he mentioned how he made Brunswick Stew on camping trips occasionally. I knew immediately that I was going to make a potful as I love Brunswick Stew. I first became aware of this dish when I moved to North Carolina and started eating at barbecue joints. Brunswick Stew, as far as I can tell, is customarily served with barbecue, and if you have any interest in food, you cannot help but learn about the barbecue culture that exists here. Of course, more flavor is added to Brunswick Stew by a little controversy regarding the origination of this dish that exists in the southeast between several towns and counties having the name "Brunswick."
Pork barbecue fits into this stew impeccably, but it is not limited to that protein. Originally, squirrel meat was used as well as rabbit, but contemporarily, pork, chicken and beef fit the bill. I had a beef roast thawed and ready to go, so that's what I used.

As I researched the topic a bit, I learned that a similar dish exists in Kentucky, but they call it "Burgoo." Pa White said that when he was a boy growing up in Minnesota, they cooked a version of it in a huge kettle at school, but they called it "Booyah." One of the reasons why I like cooking so much is that I am not very good at exactitude. Cooking allows for many versions, many variations and estimation--a little of this and a little of that.

I began my Brunswick Stew like so many dishes begin, with a diced onion in a fair amount of olive oil. I also had shallots and garlic, and I threw that in as well, redundant as it may seem. I had some diced green pepper in the freezer, and in it went. Six carrots, peeled and thinly coined. About ten medium tomatoes, roughly chopped. Recipes for this dish call for ketchup, but instead, along with the aforementioned tomatoes, I incorporated Worcestershire sauce, a little cider vinegar, a bit of sugar, and a couple glugs of hot sauce. A quart of chicken broth, Salt and Pepper, a little of P's Sandwich Sprinkle, a little Pasta Sprinkle, a little Paprika, and I think that ends the seasoning list.

I also added a cup or so of green Lima beans that I had been boiling awhile. After these items cooked together some, I threw into the pot my beef roast. Just before I can shred the meat with a fork, I will finish the dish with a couple of my remaining Lima beans and a few diced potatoes, and that will be that. Brunswick Stew.

4 comments:

kimberly said...

Good readn' JB.

J.S. Booterbaugh said...

Thanks, Berly. I appreciate your comments. Makes me feel like I have at least one regular reader.

drakesheri said...

This sounds pretty good, but I don't know that I will make it until winter.

J.S. Booterbaugh said...

This is a good spring dish, also. Of course, I'm a four-seasons stew supporter.