Monday, April 12, 2010

Charcoal Grill and Used Books






Last year, we grilled out zero times here, and it was because the grill was plumb wore out. The legs were rusted, and the burners, which had already been replaced once, were burning and rusting away again. This year, instead of an expensive propane joint, I wanted to get a little charcoal grill. I purchased this red Aussie grill, made in the good old US of A. After her inaugural run, I must say I am as pleased with the performance of the grill as I was with the price.

I had a few cubes of beef remaining that needed to be cooked from beef-stew day, so I figured I would skewer them and throw em on the grill. I had a bit of onion, cantaloupe, and cherry tomatoes that I skewered with the meat, and I will admit that these items were not exactly perfect complements. The beef grilled okay, though, with a little Salt and Pepper and something called “Mural of Flavor” from P's.

But I also had a few chicken leg quarters that I wanted to grill, and they turned out super duper. I seasoned them with P's Poultry Seasoning under and over the skin and a little bit of Salt. They probably cooked for an hour before they finally arrived at the place where I wanted to eat them. The skin was crispy, and the meat was fully cooked. I do not mind chicken just at temperature, but my preferred style is well done. Taken off at the right time, the chicken will be cooked while maintaining some juiciness. I was very happy with my grilled chicken. I have enough charcoal to last at least into the summer, so I will be utilizing my little red grill regularly.

Earlier that day, though, Janet and I went for breakfast at the Smith Street Diner downtown. We love this place. Everything is fresh and prepared to order, and they advertise “Country-Style Cooking, 8 Days a Week,” which translates to buttery deliciousness. Their menu is excellent, but so far I have only ordered the Mexican Eggs, a huge bowl of grits, cheddar cheese, two eggs cooked to your preference, sour cream, and a little salsa. Stir it up with a little Texas Pete, and I am home. But the kicker is this huge biscuit that accompanies the meal. I am not exaggerating when I tell you it is four inches by four inches, and when you pull it apart, you can see the spots of yellow butter interlaced in the fluffiness. I am afraid that I will never be able to order anything else. Janet ordered pancakes. She allowed me a bite, and I will be on the horns of dilemma next time we go there.

After breakfast, we stopped at Empire Books, a cool little used-book shop near Guilford College. They always have something of interest there, but lately I have been buying food books and cookbooks. As you can see in the pic, I found a trove of tastiness, my favorite so far being the Pennsylvania Dutch Cookery. Pennsylvania Dutch, by the way, were Germans, not Dutch. I also found a novel by Anthony Bourdain, of whom I am a fan. Good day, all in all.

2 comments:

kimberly said...

I have a lot to say.
First- Yay! I LOVE your new grill! It's super fun! I love grilled asparagus more than anything in the world and will miss it so much this summer. And my Weber.
Smith Street. Where to start. I have so much love for that place and I think I've gone every time I've returned to GSO. I also get the same thing every time. I love how you can do whatever you want with the omelets and they cost the same. I put cream cheese, jalapenos, and their luscious caramelized onions in mine. And I always get Rye bread cos I'm a huge fan. You are not exaggerating a bit about the biscuits- they are exactly as you described and are so yummy. Luckily, Scott always gets one, so I get bites!
And the pancakes. I think it's like a $1 to add one on to your meal and so we always do. Perfect dessert.
You got a Rick Bayless book!!! He's so freaking cool. Like off the charts cool. He'd be my who would invite to dinner if you could invite anyone guest.
I loved this post, JB!!! Let's go to Smith Street next time I'm in town!

J.S. Booterbaugh said...

Agreed on the SS Diner. We'll all have a biscuit together.

I have watched Bayless on the tube several times, but I probably would not have purchased his book without your mention of him. I did catch a show of his on hot chocolate, and it was quite interesting.