Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pizza FTW





I realize I mentioned something about not blogging my repeats, but I've done it before, and I will probably do it again, particularly regarding pizza. By now, I hope you know that pizza is, in my opinion, the greatest edible ever created. I started making my own a few years ago just to see if I could, and I am learning. I recall helping my Aunt Sandra make Chef Boyardee pizza in a box when I was a kid, and I always enjoyed that.

Actually, if I sat here and attempted to gather my memories related to pizza, I could conjure a bunch. Most of those will have to wait for future postings, but I will share one now. When I was a teenager, the Spencer Pizza Hut was a good meeting place in that town for post-event gatherings. I suppose it still is, but my best memory about the place is playing video games with one of my oldest friends, C$, when we were just getting acquainted in Junior High. I also clandestinely drank a few there with one of my old bosses when I was in high school, but don't tell anyone. That ends my side trip down Memory Lane.

I also realize I am not the first person to make spaghetti sandwiches by adding spaghetti to garlic bread, preferably, but I think I have taken that idea to new heights with my Spaghetti Pizza. Whoo! and Damn! This pizza was good, now! I had a bit of spaghetti left from Sunday dinner, so I thought what a fine idea it would be to utilize it as a pizza topping. S-M-R-T. After I rolled out my dough and baked it a little in the oven to assure crispness, I gave the crust a good drizzling of olive oil and a good sprinkling of garlic powder before spreading that spaghetti. I think one meatball remained, so I chopped that up, too. A little Parmesan cheese on the top before going into the oven and dang, son. This was some good eatin.

On the next pie, first I quartered and roasted four Roma tomatoes with a little S & P. While the tomatoes roasted, I diced about half of an onion and sauteed it with a carton of sliced button mushrooms and a few cloves of garlic. This pie is very similar to one I have made in the past, but the end result was slightly different due to the roasted tomatoes that just dissolved when eaten. Very nice. A ball of fresh mozz concluded the pizza, and since I made three pies, Janet had a nice lunch today that consisted mostly of this pizza.

Pizza number three: in the freezer I had a small container of ratatouille that I thought might go very well on a pizza. I thawed it and evaporated most of the liquid from the rat before topping another crust and adding some feta cheese. Ratatouille pizza was pretty good to me, but it was not stellar like that spaghetti pie, as you might imagine.

Anyway, I'm getting better at making dough, as I am beginning to learn more about it. Yesterday I was tossing it and spinning it in the air like an old Pizzaiolo! Mangia! Mangia!

2 comments:

kimberly said...

S-M-R-T!!! LOL!!! You are a funny man, JB. Yum to spaghetti pizza... I quite like the mashed potato pizza at PieWorks...
I remember making Chef Boyardee pizza crust w/ my fam as well... good times...
Pizza might really be the best and is worth several repeated posts... there's just so damn much you can do...
I ended up picking up a shift tonight, so no cooking for me- outside of the frozen perogies I made w/ caramelized onions for a quick pre-work dinner... along w/ some soy chorizo and sour cream... very enjoyable for a mostly prepacked meal...
I want a slice of that spaghetti pizza so badly right now, you have no idea... I just have a post-work Stoli and soda, and I do believe a slice of that pie would be a marvelous end to my night... I'll just have to dream about it instead... :)

J.S. Booterbaugh said...

Ha. My cousin was talking about pierogi pizza. We like them with mushroom and sour cream sauce, which we haven't had in awhile. Sounds good. I was looking at Pieworks menu, and they have spaghetti pizza on the menu, also. Thanks for the kind words!